Our next meeting is Tuesday 12th September at 7.30pm at Mozart Hall, Gilles St, Warrnambool. Our guest speakers will be Committee members Susan Farrell, Helen Dixon and Robyn Bodycoat, who will talk about the fascinating Obituary files that are at Heritageworks.
Our next Chat and Learn session is Saturday 16th September from 1.30pm - 3.30pm at Heritageworks. We will explore some of the many resources at Heritageworks.
Our October meeting is on Tuesday 10th October. Our guest speakers will be Barbara McLeod and Rosemary Isaac who will give us some Tips for Protecting and Storing Heirloom items.
The major activity of the Group is:
- A series of cemetery walks at Warrnambool Cemetery in January (subject to availability of volunteers and public interest. Donation appreciated).
On a monthly basis (February to November) the Group conducts the following activities:
- Publication of our Newsletter The South-West Genealogist which includes information on the Group's activities and also contains a summary transcription 'Historicals' from The Warrnambool Standard covering the contents for the corresponding month, 130 years in the past. The February issue covers both January and February Historicals and the November issue covers November and December Historicals.
- A monthly meeting on the second Tuesday of the month commencing at 7.30pm. A usual feature of these meetings is the inclusion of a Guest Speaker who will talk about specific topics of interest to the Group.
- Family Tree Maker self-help interest group on the third Wednesday of the month commencing at 1.30pm.
- A monthly Chat and Learn session, usually on a Saturday afternoon, where members can get together to chat and discuss varying topics.
- Introductory sessions to Trove newspapers are available by request.
Members also volunteer their time to work on projects throughout the year such as indexing records and collating material.
Past Cemetery Walks
January 2023 - Headstones "From Simplicity to the Elaborate" - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2022 - Interesting gravestones - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2021 - Graves relating to the sinking of the Nestor on the Hopkins River in 1921 - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2019 - La Bella crew member Jack Denham, who died in 1905, finally gets a headstone in Warrnambool Cemetery - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2016 - Graves of soldiers who died on the battlefields of France during WW1 - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2015 - Graves of soldiers who served at Gallipoli during WW1 - an article from The Warrnambool Standard