Our next meeting is Wednesday 10th May 7.30pm at Hammond Centre, Henna St, Warrnambool. Our topic is "Recording & Presenting our Family History". Members are asked to bring examples of how they have recorded or presented their family history or any research they have undertaken. The aim is to see the variety of ways research can be recorded and presented. It could be printed, written, diagrams, trees, software, etc. A selection will also be shown from our library
Our June meeting will be a dinner meeting at the RSL, Wednesday 14th June, 6pm for a 6.30pm start. Please contact us to book a seat at dinner. Afterwards our speaker will be Susan Farrell whose topic is “Who is the Mystery Woman”, a story of Susan’s research into a local Warrnambool woman.
The two major activities of the Group are:
- A series of cemetery walks at Warrnambool Cemetery in January (subject to availability of volunteers and public interest. Donation appreciated).
- An annual family history seminar held in May. This is in recess due to covid-19.
On a monthly basis (February to November) the Group conducts the following activities:
- Publication of our Newsletter The South-West Genealogist which includes information on the Group's activities and also contains a summary transcription 'Historicals' from The Warrnambool Standard covering the contents for the corresponding month, 130 years in the past. The February issue covers both January and February Historicals and the November issue covers November and December Historicals.
- A monthly meeting on the second Wednesday of the month commencing at 7.30pm. A usual feature of these meetings is the inclusion of a Guest Speaker who will talk about specific topics of interest to the Group.
- Family Tree Maker self-help interest group on the third Wednesday of the month commencing at 1.30pm.
- Introductory sessions to Trove newspapers are available by request.
Members also volunteer their time to work on projects throughout the year such as indexing records and collating material.
Past Cemetery Walks
January 2023 - Headstones "From Simplicity to the Elaborate" - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2022 - Interesting gravestones - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2021 - Graves relating to the sinking of the Nestor on the Hopkins River in 1921 - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2019 - La Bella crew member Jack Denham, who died in 1905, finally gets a headstone in Warrnambool Cemetery - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2016 - Graves of soldiers who died on the battlefields of France during WW1 - an article from The Warrnambool Standard
January 2015 - Graves of soldiers who served at Gallipoli during WW1 - an article from The Warrnambool Standard